Cement tiles, also known as encaustic tiles, have been used for flooring for decades. These beautiful and durable tiles are made of cement, sand and natural pigments, and are known for their detailed patterns and vibrant colors. In this blog, we will explore the benefits of cement tiles for flooring, the installation process, and the different patterns and designs available.
Benefits of Cement Tiles for Flooring:
- Durability: Cement tiles are extremely durable and can last for decades if properly maintained. They are resistant to scratches, stains, and moisture, making them ideal for high-traffic areas like kitchens, bathrooms, and entryways.
- Eco-Friendly: Cement tiles are made from natural materials, which means they are eco-friendly and sustainable. They do not emit harmful chemicals, making them safe for indoor use.
- Versatility: Cement tiles are available in a variety of patterns and designs, making them suitable for any style of decor. They can be used to create a modern, industrial look or a more traditional, vintage style.
- Low Maintenance: Cement tiles are relatively low maintenance and easy to clean. Regular sweeping and mopping are usually all that is needed to keep them looking their best.
The installation process for cement tiles is slightly different from that of other types of flooring. Here are the steps involved:
- Preparation: The subfloor must be clean, level, and free from any waste or bumps. Any existing flooring must be removed before installation.
- Layout: The tiles should be laid out in the desired pattern before installation to ensure the best fit and alignment.
- Adhesive: A cement-based adhesive should be used to attach the tiles to the subfloor. This adhesive is mixed with water and applied to the subfloor using a notched trowel.
- Grouting: Once the tiles are in place, grout is applied to the joints between them. This grout is also cement-based and is available in a variety of colors to match the tiles.
- Sealing: Sealer must be applied before grouting! After the grout has dried, a second coat of sealer must be applied, the tiles should be sealed with a high-quality sealant to protect them from stains and moisture.
- Installation guidelines
Patterns and Designs:
Cement tiles are available in a wide variety of patterns and designs, from traditional geometric patterns to more modern and abstract designs. Some popular patterns include:
- Moroccan: These tiles are known for their bold and intricate designs and are often used to create a vintage, bohemian look.
- Cuban: These tiles are characterized by their bright and colorful designs, often featuring floral or geometric patterns.
- Victorian: These tiles feature more traditional, ornate designs and are often used to create a classic, elegant look.
In conclusion, cement tiles are a beautiful and durable option for flooring, with a wide variety of patterns and designs to choose from. While the installation process may be slightly different from other types of flooring, the end result is a stunning and long-lasting floor that will add character and charm to any space.
We hope this blog provides useful information about cement tiles. Good luck with your project!